Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Exterior trim, oh how I hate thee

In my past life I don't think I ever noticed a piece of exterior trim. I noticed siding, windows, roofing material, etc., but I don't think I ever looked at a house and said "Nice trim". Now I must also shamefully admit that I should have been paying attention to trim, as it is something that Matt has spent a lot of his professional life installing. I've listened to him talk about it, even looked at sketches he has drawn in an effort to make me understand how cool something he has been working on looked. But payback is hell, and now my every waking moment revolves around trim, and I hate it. It is tedious, I still don't really care that much about it, and it takes forever to install. Or at least ours does, but that might just be because Matt is a perfectionist. So this past weekend, just like the weekend before and the weekend to come, we installed trim. But we had some help. Matt Brown made a return appearance, as did my sister, who flew down all the way from NYC for the weekend just to help.

Me and my sister Sarah Ellen trimming the front window.

More trim, it never ends.
And of course, the only thing more fun than trim was removing five headers with the saw-zaw. Somehow, during the translation from design phase to order phase to delivery phase for windows, 40 inch became 4.0 Ft., so our rough openings weren't sufficient. No one knows how that happened, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I somehow screwed up, so I offered to take out all of the offending headers (with the help of Sarah Ellen).

No comments: